At Haine & Smith, we welcome patients eligible for free NHS Sight Tests and Optical Vouchers.
You're entitled to a free NHS sight test if you:
- are under 16*
- are 16, 17 or 18 and in full-time education*
- are 60 or over
- are registered as partially sighted or blind
- have been diagnosed with diabetes or glaucoma
- are 40 or over and your mother, father, sibling or child has been diagnosed with glaucoma
- have been advised by an eye doctor (ophthalmologist) that you’re at risk of glaucoma
- are a prisoner on leave from prison*
- are eligible for an NHS complex lens voucher*
- get Income Support*
- get Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance*
- get Income-based Employment and Support Allowance*
- get Pension Credit Guarantee Credit*
- get tax credits and meet the criteria*
- get Universal Credit and meet the criteria*
- have a low income and are named on a valid NHS HC2 certificate for full help with health costs*
* You’re also entitled to an optical voucher for help towards the cost of your glasses or contact lenses.
You may be entitled to a reduced cost sight test and an optical voucher if you have a low income and are named on a valid NHS HC3 certificate for partial help with health costs.
For further information about NHS services, please see this article on the NHS website.
If you are aged 16 years plus and are currently in an apprenticeship scheme you do not qualify for a free sight test or an optical voucher unless you meet the criteria above.
For more information, please contact your local branch who will be happy to assist you.